Monday, September 13, 2010

A Fine Weekend







It was an excellent weekend, so much so that I hated for it to end. Sometimes you feel ready to land back at the desk on Monday, but this was certainly not one of those times.

I actually set out to attend a family reunion for the Fisher family in Lake Toxaway, NC, but set out late and really directionless and wound up wandering around some old graveyards in the area looking at headstones of long-gone relatives. It was fascinating. One of these men, James Fisher Jr., was the subject of a popular novel of the time and was known in the area as "Long Hunter". His own father explored the territory with Davy Crockett. No kidding.

Most of these men wound up fighting for the Confederacy during the Civil War, and some of them died as POWs. My Dad's genealogical work really came in handy. Endlessly fascinating to see where you came from. It was pouring outside, so I was only able to get a couple of good pictures. Posted the snail here, which I thought was decent from a compositional perspective.

The other picture here is my great-great-Grandfather, the son of Thomas Cantrell and Polly Fisher. His name was Francis Marion Cantrell.

The rest of the weekend was spent learning some fiddle tunes. I wondered as I looked around at these graveyards if there were any fiddlers buried there. My personal guess is that there was...but I probably just like the thought of it.

Here's one from the weekend. Hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed playing it.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah! Photos. Love the snail's shell.

    I have albumin pictures of my great-great grandfather, Alonzo Tucker, holding ice tongs. Probably taken pre-Civil War (my family is originally from Connecticut). Took me forever to figure out that they were ice tongs; I first thought it was a tennis racket, but then decided not since he was a dairy farmer. And what dairy farmer in the 1850's would be playing tennis?

    ReplyDelete