Sunday, August 15, 2010

Photography






I'm not very good at it yet, but would like to be. Surely the motivation counts for something...

I don't think you can beat film, but on the whole I would say that photography has benefited hugely during the digital age. That being said, when I try to take a picture I try to put the whole "I can take a million of these with this 16gb SD card and pick a good one" notion out of my mind and pretend that I have sixteen exposures and not a single one to waste.

I got a GREAT Fuji camera from NewEgg that had a bad pixel on the screen, so I was able to upgrade my camera significantly without spending much money. The bad pixel is invisible to the naked eye and can't be seen without a magnifying glass, so I will call that a great deal. I'm just not good enough at it yet to justify putting some money into it...but I have confidence that I will learn.

One thing I have decided not to do is read on the subject. I will just feel my way out. Maybe at some point I will read about the principles of it, but I hate to get bogged down in the methodology--it is the same approach I have taken to mandolin and that seems to have worked out just fine. I have gotten some pretty favorable results so far which I will post for my amusement (and yours).

One more thing--the first picture (of me) was taken with am app that I downloaded to my Droid which is meant to mimic some of the classic cameras. In this case, it's a Leica. There are a number of different cameras in the app and they do a pretty amazing job of duplicating the low-tech. Duplicating the low-tech...that's a whole other post in itself. The other photo is a raptor-dog (my Dingo) trying to eat my hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment